Agricultural technologies must be ‘appropriate’Source: Global Food Security 5 April 2010 “An appropriate [agricultural] technology is accessible, affordable, easy-to-use and maintain, effective — and most importantly, it serves a real need.” http://www.scidev.net/en/opinions/agricultural-technologies-must-be-appropria… How do we achieve this? As “Science and Innovation for Development” author Jeff Waage stated in the book: “Between the extremes of a technological ‘silver bullet’ approach to development science, and the belief that local and intermediate technologies are the only legitimate approach, there is emerging today a new community of scientists dedicated to an inclusive view of appropriate science for development”. http://www.foodsecurity.ac.uk/blog/index.php/2010/03/appropriate-technology/?…
Discovery, development and registration of ag-related products to fight disease and pests: A study
Commissioned by Crop Life America and and the European Crop Protection Association (ECPA), Phillips McDougall conducted a study on the discovery, development and registration of new products designed to support modern agricultural production and fight pests and disease around the world.
The Study is available here:
Some key notes articulated by Jack Boyne, director of communications for Bayer CropScience:
- 50 percent of the world’s harvest would be lost if pests weren’t controlled
- it takes approximately 10 years of testing to bring a product to market, during which time half the product’s patent protection is lost
- products are evaluated not only for possible effects on human health but also for their impacts in wildlife and the environment
- only one product out of 100,000 evaluated actually makes it to market
- today’s products are better tested, more selective and more precisely applied than ever before — often a dose is measured in fractions of grams per acre
Read more on this in “Crop protection products help feed world” (by David Bennett, Farm Press Editorial Staff). http://deltafarmpress.com/news/crop-protection-products-help-feed-world-0312/
You must be logged in to post a comment.